Monday, November 7, 2011

3rd Meeting and discussion

I think i just started meeting my supervisor on 28/9/2011 (before the official registration) and i am so happy to accomplish the 3rd meeting which was held 'impromptu' thanks to the myriad information i received from the university. It started on the 2nd Nov. 2011 when i received call from the Deputy Dean (PGR) requesting all staff to submit proposal for grant not less than 20k for the purpose of RU application. The university will be in its 3rd attempt applying for RU after all unsuccessful two applications. Before the call, i reply her email stating that i am now on my study leave and whether i am suppose to submit formal proposal which due on 9th Nov. 2011. I thought being away on study leave will give me a relief for their believe that staff on study leave should concentrate on their study and should not be 'disturbed' with issues at the university. On 2nd Nov. 2011, i received call using the university number and the DD-PGR mentioned that everybody non-PI should submit for the grant. I was stunned since the deadline was very near and having incomplete proposal (or near silly one!) would mean that the proposal will be another proposal dump to a drain. I experience once, and learning from mistake, proposal need to be clear and focus before submission or energy wasted. On the other hand, i sense an opportunity for additional fund for data collection and this will mean better cashflow for the whole research work. I know nothing as at the moment but at least that grant may fund my 1st objective (which suppose to be the most straight forward one).

I rang my supervisor on the same day (she was on medical leave - sorry) and told her about the university request. My supervisor concerned about the direction and i request to meet her just to discuss about the proposal. I got nothing else in mind that time, just thinking that money will greatly save the other allocations for data collection. She was unavailable on the 3rd Nov. 2011, and i was asked to come on Friday the 4th. Before our meeting, i received another call on the 3rd (from RMC) asking whether i will submit a proposal as they will be having a meeting with the Deputy Rector to discuss on the issue. I told them that i am currently on study leave and whether i can submit a proposal or not. According to RMC, staff on study leave can't become PI and should concentrate on their study only. I was quite disappointed to hear that as it means no grant for the data collection. I met my supervisor on the 4th and she agreed that having grant will disturb my study and she prefer me to concentrate on my study rather than chasing for the grant. I know this will be a great opportunity later in my academic career as i may apply for grant and having a master student on my own to do the research.

The meeting

I was moving without any concrete direction for the past week but i collected many articles talking everything in the industry just to keep myself informed about what's happening in the industry worldwide. I admit this is new to me and searching, knowing something new is actually fun. Well of course, i got itchy and watery eyes because of the reading but it was fun. The joy lies when i finished reading an article and understand what the author/s is/are trying to convey. I still having trouble understanding methods especially those with heavy statistic but i slowly learn and trying to appreciate everything that are written. During the meeting, my supervisor suggest something that is brilliant, why don't conduct a 'background study' and from there 'probe' the issue/s that is/are currently happening. That's good and given the lack of literature available in Malaysia, that suppose to be an efficient way to identify a gap in the existing body of knowledge. Her suggestion is simple, get to know the basic deeper and go to the field to probe the gap. I agreed, this is suppose to be the way. When there is lack of literature, probe the actual and establish the gap.

Starting from today, this is what i will do - get to know the subject better and deeper and brainstorm what lies beneath.

Till the next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment