Monday, November 14, 2011

The tale of paracetamol and gold digging

This week is rather melancholic. I started Monday with headache, end up the day with 4 hours sleep and wake up with more headache. A bad day indeed. This week suppose to be my 4th week in the whole study and I still reading and downloading more and more articles from the online database. The whole process is a lot of frustration cause it slow. The internet is slow, the loading is slow and the reading is well slow of course. Digging the database is like mining gold or diamond. The unearthing takes 'years' while the result can somewhat good or none at all. It depends on the key words used, and I feel like I used them all. Sometimes i found key words try it, and the result is good. Most of the time, from 100 results, only 10 match or have something related. The next problem is the publication dates. I know it is important to have an up to date reference in the list of reference. It means, the topic is contemporary and research is sought. To date, to be frank, in my 'end note' i only have 18 registered related articles and few others pending review. I think to date i'm good at the basic of end note and i do hope to explore more.

I started this morning with 2 tablets of paracetamol and i'm good. Don't know should this be what i'll be doing for the next 3 years!

I was at the Civil Eng (CE) Faculty this morning and noticed that Martin Skitmore is in town. He's a renown scholar in construction management and the faculty will be conducting colloquium tomorrow at 10am. I'm interested to attend hoping to broaden the horizon and perhaps listen to others talking. I think the CE faculty is more structured when it comes to PG since the numbers of PG students are large compared to the faculty in which i currently attached. They have a dedicated office to cater PG matters and all forms are available for students in a dedicated place, a sight not available in my faculty.

No comments:

Post a Comment