Tuesday, September 17, 2013

First attempt for journal paper

Before I continue further, let me start with this.

-Michael Jordan-

Universities nowadays are becoming so concern about ranking. Normally, rank is assessed by the number of published journals affiliated with the university. My university is no different. They spent huge on grants etc and ask (in return) a numbers of journal etc.

Some time last week, I sent a paper to this one very new indexed journal and hope that the paper will be accepted for publication. The following is the editor's reply:

"Thank you for submitting your paper to xxxxx. I read all papers as they
arrive before they are progressing through the system. I think your paper is
not a research paper and and it is not enough of critical evaluation to
qualify as a review paper"

The moment I read this, it feels like there's a bomb just exploded in my head. I had just failed. The paper did not even move in the system and it didn't even pass the editor. No need to say more. [motivation at its lowest...]

It continues like this:


"However, I would be happy to send it for review as a "Viewpoint", papers
that are of general interest without being classified as research. They are
searchable  in the same way as research papers. The peer review is slightly
different but accepted papers qualify as peer reviewed"

Some relief though.... at least there's a home for it.

Now comes the recommendations:


"If you want your paper as a viewpoint, could you please remove the
inappropriate references to "theory" in the title and text and edit the
English, which is currently not of a publishable standard."


This really caught my attention. How am I going to edit the English? because that was the only English I ever knew.

I am so poor in grammar but what can I do.


But at least the editor had given me a good option. Perhaps I will just edit and send it over again.


"When you have done that, send it to me as an attachment to an email and I'll
send it to referees."


It left me wonder (really..) on my level of English...

No comments:

Post a Comment