Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Freezing

I remember when my supervisor here asked me (several months back) on my plan here in Reading. At that time, the best as I can remember, I talked to him about my plan of doing this and of course doing that. He responded by looking at me and said, its going to be cold, especially in November, December all the way up to January, and I do not want you to think at that time, what's the hell I am doing here?

Believe it or not, I am now thinking exactly his concern to me on the purpose of I am here.

So ironic, my first week has finally over yesterday and I can't stop myself from counting the days when this will finally be over. If you were on a holiday, the first week will be so much fun. Going out, tasting new thing, trying to soak the local spirit as much as you can etc etc. But in my case, there is nothing fun in it. Yes definitely I am taking this as an opportunity to be away from routine and basking myself in a new environment but things are so different.

Take the weather for example, I know before I get to here, I always wonder how nice living in a cool weather where you are not soaking in sweat whenever you go outside. Well, it serve me right on my face now. There is nothing good about it I swear. It makes life so difficult. Try to imagine compressing four times prayer in a nip of just four hours. I think I just done with my ablution when suddenly I need to get a new one because the next prayer is almost due. There is no such thing as warm water here, its either hot or freezing cold. Pick up the one you desire and I found at least, the freezing water is still tolerable. 

At this point of time, I remember best how I normally start a conversation with my wife after we all finish with our routine and normally I would say to her, it's very hot today and it took the laundry just an hour to dry. Well if I can return now, I would just switch off the air conditioning and perhaps soak myself in the hot and humid weather.

All this boredom has led me to a new hobby. I easily find myself now eager to shop. Everyday, for the past a week or so, I constantly made my way to the town area and peek at every shop along the road. I must say UK is a must when it comes to shopping. The selections are endless and that thick furry winter jacket sometime tickle my buds to purchase. But, I am constantly being sobered with the prospect of that jacket will have when time finally call me for home. That will be useless and unless I can sell it, there is nowhere that jacket will fit with our local temperature. 

As for now, I am comforting myself with a huge cup of hot chocolate trying hard to fit in and try doing my job. Good conversation with people back home will be good but as I am 8 hours behind them, it is always not possible to catch a good conversation. Just imagine rushing home here only at 3pm but unfortunately it's already 10 pm back home. As a matter of fact, I woke up at 5 am here and my wife just had her lunch for the day.

*its only 19.47 now but its already been dark since 16.40 hrs. Hope I can cope up with this and I really miss my work station back home now - cry!!    

No comments:

Post a Comment