Thursday, October 31, 2013

Reading: Post 1 of 2

Again no photos because this ain't a holiday.

I really need to write this thing down since I was so worried few months back, on the prospect of getting in in Heathrow. I heard endless stories about people being held back due to their fishy purposes of coming in here and it might be useful if I shared the experience of mine. Well, different people might their own version of it, but at least this is what I have experienced.

I flew from KLIA at almost dusk, in a nearly full flight to Dubai and cannot stop of thinking what will happened as I reached London. I would never imagined that I was there smack in between the narrow seat trying to nip what UK has to offer. At almost 13 hours of flight plus 3 hours stranded in Dubai I really replay the whole plan over and over again. Whatever it is, I always say to myself that if I were ever denied for an entry, there'll be no problem. Just get the next available flight and return to safety.

It seems very odd especially when you try to beat the time. I managed to do that when the plane really travel against the time. Just imagine leaving at dusk and arrive at dawn. It feels like nothing change really. I arrived at London Heathrow really at dawn. It was 630 am local time when the plane landed and I saw endless planes just touching down like every 5 minutes or so interval. Heathrow really is a busy airport and people like just thronging every single minute and second.

Like an hour or so before landing, the flight attendant will start giving away landing card. It's good if you place your detail handy, otherwise you'll need to fill it later in the terminal.

The moment I walked out from the cabin, cold wind start to blow and I was very surprised at how fast people walk. Every disembarking passenger just walk very fast and if I were to continue my jaywalk, I really felt that I will be in so much trouble trying to catch up. Terminal 3 was like a very huge complex and soon after from afar, I start to see the UK BORDER sign. It wasn't hard to be missed and all path are heading towards that direction.

The immigration booth were well laid. Basically two sections, one for British passport/EU passports and the other is for other passports. I guess mine will be at the later section.

I start to practice for the last time and surprisingly most of the counters were manned by Brits of asian origin. I lined up and there'll be an officer calling you whenever a counter is available. I handed over my passport and the officer start to ask. He asked me where am I heading to, for how long, for what purpose and any letters to justify. I was not asked on how am I going to support my life here. I feel blessed. The session lasted for just about 20 seconds. My passport is stamped and I was permitted to enter.

Morally speaking, I think, if your reason of coming is clear, nothing fishy about it then I think there's nothing to be worried. But every preparation to face them is very compulsory and it would be very hard to satisfy them if you came in with empty hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment